In Spiritual Parenting: An Awakening for Today’s Families, Michelle Anthony challenges parents to make time and careful effort to be discipling their children, and to use the home as the primary environment of discipleship. Her tone is warm and gracious, and as a reader, I felt as if she was giving me a picture of what spiritual parenting looked like in the way that she interacts as an author to her readers.
I read this right after reading Intentional Parenting, and was pleasantly surprised by both books, as well as how they complemented each other on the subject.
This book places the parent-child relationship within the context of Christian discipleship. Through that paradigm, Anthony walks readers through the various environments that parents should be leading their children through, teaching them to grow in the faith as we ourselves grow. She exams the paradigms of parenting that have been popular in American Protestant religious teachings over the past few decades, and asks believing parents to consider that Christian parenting is not formula-based, but faith-driven. The goal is not superficial obedience, but authentic, deep faith (which leads to genuine obedience). She encourages parents to be faithful and intentional as they shepherd their children for what is really a rather brief span of time.
- In the Path of the Divine Beyond Managing Behavior
- What’s the Rock? A Transforming Faith
- A Garden and a Big White Horse The Environment of Storytelling
- Royal Blood The Environment of Identity
- Help from Our Friends The Environment of Faith Community
- What Needs to be Done? The Environment of Service
- A Heart of Dependence The Environment Out of the Comfort Zone
- An Entrusted Kingdom The Environment of Responsibility
- Discipline the Heals The Environment of Course Correction
- Down at Eye Level The Environment of Love and Respect
- A True Relationship The Environment of Knowing
- What I Say Is What I Do The Environment of Modeling