DIY: Faux Photo Canvas

Last week, Hana Kate and I took on the project of making a new photo canvas for my office. I made one at the beginning of this year for my friend with a picture I took of her little girl. I loved how hers turned out, and made sure to take a similar picture of Justus in hopes of making a canvas like hers. (I took this photo with Justus on a black blanket. Photoshop can also be used to help make a dark or spotty background entirely black. He’s just 6 days old here; I can’t believe how much he’s changed!)

Here’s how we did this for just under 10 dollars, and it took only around 10 minutes of active “project time.” (Drying/waiting time is around 24 hours, as well as time needed getting supplies and a photoshoot.)

Supplies Needed:

1. Canvas (I used a 16 x 20. At the time I bought mine, Hobby Lobby sold these in a 2 pack for $7.) Update: These are currently $7.99 for a 2 pack. With a 40% off coupon, available weekly online, making it $4.79 for a 2 pack, or just $2.40 per canvas.
  2. Printed Photo, approximately the same size as the canvas. (I had mine printed for $3.99 at Costco.)
  3. Black Acrylic Paint
  4. Mod Podge (I used gloss finish, bought in large size for $7.70 from Amazon, here.)
  5. Sponge brushes

1. First, paint the edges and sides of the canvas black. (Hana Kate hadn’t painted the sides of the canvas black in the above photo, but we did do those, as well.) Trim the edges of the photo if is larger than the canvas, and paint around the edges of the photo, too.

2. Once the black paint has dried, brush the entire canvas with Mod Podge. This will act as a glue to hold the photo to the canvas.

3. After adhering the photo to the canvas, brush another coat of Mod Podge over the photo and the side of the canvas. This will act as a sealant.

4. After allowing the first coat of Mod Podge to dry overnight (or 8 to 12 hours), add a second and final coat. For this step, I like to use the sponge brush to give the Mod Podge a patterned textured look. So when it’s done, it will look like this:

I’m in the process of decorating my office, and this canvas fit the space perfectly. When we moved to this house ten months ago, we were anticipating the prospect of quickly joining our church, finishing up training for foster care, and arranging and decorating our house (among other things). But with a rather difficult start to this pregnancy just weeks later, and then the minor complications in the months following, we’re just now getting things on the walls and in the halls. We also saw during that time that we would not be able to both adequately provide care for foster children and our biological children while our two (now three) children are in their earlier years, and this was especially evident during those days I was in the throes of morning sickness and then sometimes unable to walk with the additional complications. We bought this house to meet the specific requirements for  being a foster care, and had an extra bedroom we planned to devote for the children we hoped to care for. But since it is extra for now (and we also have a room for guests), I’m taking space for my office–nice to have a space to put my computer and now devote for this purpose. And this photo canvas is a little reminder of the many things in our lives that God has blessed us with and taught us over the past ten months in this house.

In the last few months of this pregnancy, and I also made a subway art canvas using a similar technique. For this, it was a floral-patterned 10 x 10 canvas that someone had given me, but I just wasn’t sure where to put it with the floral decor. Matthew 22:37-39 has been a passage God has been teaching us to see with new eyes, and so I arranged the words in Photoshop and then had a poster printed on photo paper at Costco, and then followed the same steps described above.

This project is certainly not original with me, and if you’ve spent time on Pinterest, you’ve likely seen a version or two of this “faux photo canvas” show up there. I just like the fresh, crisp look of the black and white. :) It’s also possible to do a similar canvas using a color photo, as my sister-in-law Christa shows here. Now I just need to do some photo shoot to get some good black/white photos of my girls! :)

Comments

1. 5

Melissa says

My “adopted” son just had a daughter and I think I am going to give this a try…..thanks for the wonderful idea!

2. 7

Natalie says

What sorts of complications did you have? :( I, too, get struck with terrible morning sickness… and then plenty of complications and painful situations. It is tough!!!!! Congrats on your newest little one, though – they are worth it, as you know! :)

• 8

says

Thanks, Natalie. Yes, so much of those troubles are “forgotten” now. I get rough morning sickness, and also has some complication with my pelvic ligaments, which left me unable to walk on a couple of (thankfully brief) occasions.

3. 9

Julie Hall says

Do you know if you can use a photo poster or if it just needs to be a regular print? I want to do a bigger canvas and it looks like walmart has a decent deal on a poster print.

4. 11

says

This is SO brilliant!! I am so going to do this!! Ive been looking for was to incorporate words/sayings/positive phrases into large frames and this is such a cost effective way to do it! Thanks!!

5. 14

says

No dog agility training would be complete without learning the
    weave poles. However, a good boxer will be in good enough shape to go the distance
    for all the rounds and let the decision go to the judges.
    Delayed pain usually is caused by a deeper, underlying problem such as disease,
    disorder or condition in the body.

6. 15

says

Acid reflux symptoms, or GERD, affect millions of people the
    world over. The danger from reflux disease is the constant exposure of the
    esophagus to stomach acid. Smaller meals are easier to digest, and eating more frequently does more work your stomach muscles and moves things in
    the right direction.

7. 16

says

The generous length of cord and special blue tubing used on the
    airtube headset gives people the opportunity to
    combat radiation by moving cell phones further away
    from the body. Secondly, why the the World Health Organization warn us that according to scientific research the following conclusion to
    different types of cancer have been ascertained.

Mobile phones have been offering companies a method to connect with
    their workers within the subject for years, so what’s all the fuss about mobile advertising and marketing now.

8. 17

says

I am extremely inspired along with your writing abilities and also with the layout on your weblog.
    Is that this a paid theme or did you modify it your self?
    Either way keep up the nice high quality writing, it’s uncommon to see a great weblog like this one today..

9. 22

says

Hey! This is kind of off topic but I need some guidance from an established blog.
    Is it tough to set up your own blog? I’m not very techincal but I can figure things
    out pretty quick. I’m thinking about creating my own but I’m not sure where to begin.
    Do you have any tips or suggestions? Many thanks

10. 24

says

Keep in mind when looking for a new home, including possessing a firearm with
    intent to reward all five star ratings. Under the
    agreement unlicensed contractors reached. Remember,
    the alarms will go over the abuse of prisoners in the reform of public policy.

Here is my weblog: homepage (Terrie)

11. 25

says

Having read this I believed it was really enlightening.

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to put this information together.
    I once again find myself personally spending a significant amount of time both reading and leaving comments.
    But so what, it was still worthwhile!

12. 26

says

Have you ever thought about creating an ebook or guest authoring on other sites?
    I have a blog centered on the same subjects you discuss and would lolve tto have you share
    some stories/information. I know my readers would appreciate your work.
    If you’re even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an email.

Feel free to surf to my web page

Trackbacks