Happy one week to our sweet son, Justus!
I can hardly believe how quickly this first week has passed.
Especially since he spends so much time sleeping! We are in love with this little guy and so thankful he is here already!
This first week has held a few “accomplishments,” most of them probably done while sleeping:
- holding his head up (day 1-just a few minutes old)
- rolling over from tummy to back (3 days) (actually, our girls did this, too, but then didn’t repeat until much later; I don’t expect him to, either)
- losing his cord stump (5 days)
- first clothes (3 days)
- lots of smiles in his sleep and now sometime when we talk to him (6 days), though I’m not sure if the latter is by accident or really in response to us
- finally opening his eyes for extended periods of time (i.e., 15 minutes-45 minutes) (~5 days)
- our midwife weighed him at 2 visits she made: he was 9lbs., 4oz., at the 24-36 hour checkup, and then already beyond his birth-weight at 5 days, weighing 9lbs., 10oz. My guess is he’ll be up to or close to 10lbs. next time around. No wonder my arms are sore! 🙂
- He sneezes a lot, and it’s usually 2 sneezes, one right after the other
- He also seems to enjoy music
It’s been a good first week, but has passed much more quickly than I expected. My husband is a true hero of the first week–he went immediately from the physically and emotionally taxing job of being my labor support, to taking care of us all, and making sure the house is clean, girls cared for, laundry done, and that the girls, my mom, and I are fed (making many rather amazing meals), and indirectly, that Justus is fed. I have a lot of catching up to do to him with the number of diapers I’ve changed. 🙂 I am feeling fairly well, but continue to deal with walking being painful (again, due to SPD).