Monday’s $20 Menu: Stroganoff

103_1944.jpg
Stroganoff
Ingredients:
8 oz. egg noodles (3/4 typical bag)
1/2lb. ground meat
1 can cream of mushroom soup
(chopped onions if desired)
Sautee onions. Brown ground meat at medium heat. Once meat is cooked, turn heat to low and add 1 can cream of mushroom soup. Stir until blended.
Cook egg noodles in boiling water for 7 minutes. (Add salt and olive oil after drained, if desired.)
Serve meat sauce over noodles.
If you’ll be following the menu plan I’ve provided, brown 1 lb. of ground meat, and remove half to reserve for the Taco Salad later in the week. Cook the entire 12 ounce bag of noodles, and reserve a quarter of the noodles for Mustgo Soup.
Potato Wedges
Ingredients:
2 to 3 baking potatoes
1 tsp oil
seasoning
Chop potatoes into wedges or cubes. Add enough seasoning to coat potatoes. Mix together until all sides are coated with seasoning and oil. Spread on a metal pan one layer thick, and cook at 400 degrees until edges are browned/crisped (usually at least 30 minutes).
Wouldn’t you know it…but after spending the weekend with my parents, we hadn’t been able to spend much time with Daniel’s parents recently, so we accepted their invite for supper tonight. :) Thus, I didn’t make our potato wedges or get a good picture. However, I basically make them the same as this recipe found at Tammy’s Recipes.

Comments

1. 3

says

Another whip-it-together dish is to pour a little melted butter over chicken breasts, sprinkle it with seasoned bread crumbs mixed with a little Parmesan cheese and bake it in the oven at 350 F for 30 minutes and it’s simply delicious :) It usually takes me a total of 5 minutes to make. My husband says this is one of his favorite dishes!

2. 5

GINNY LEE says

MY Mother lived during the depression. She made hamburg gravy and poured it over potatoes, bread,noodles, rice what ever she had on hand.
    All it was, was hamburger and onions fried together, she sprinkled some flour over top and added some water to make a nice gravy, depending on how much meat you use. salt and pepper to taste. We have been eating this all my life. Still good and quick.
    She also took the same ingredients and made a soup out of it, on nights she really had to stretch it.
    For the soup she sauteed the onions first, set them aside and browned the hamburg, added the onions back into the pot, peeled and cut up the potatoes as if you where making regular soup. Add enough water,
    to cover. Salt and Pepper to taste. She took the flour
    and a little water to make a paste to thicken the soup.
    That was it same ingredients, two different ways of using them. If you where lucky you could add a handful of peas to it also.
    She also had something we called Depression soup.
    Basically potatoes and onion soup, Same as with the hamburg, but without the hamburg. We would have that
    as is with salt,pepper and a little butter.
    Take this really basic tastey soup, and change with fresh corn added to it, and you have corn chowder.
    or take the potato soup, add some milk, s & P, butter
    and put in a package of frozen peas. And this was our pea soup. We still love and make the above all my life.
    And even my husband who is Italian loves it.

3. 6

GINNY LEE says

My father made bread, and if he could get a handful of rasins, they had raisin bread. Glad I kept my bread machine when everyone else was yard saling theirs.
    If you can make bread, or buy frozen bread at our Kroegers you get 5 loaves for about $2.69. Defrost a loaf or two, take some lunch meat like boiled ham, salami, cheese. Roll the dough out like you where making a pie, but roll it more oblong. Take your lunch meat cube it in small hunks even the cheese. Sprinkle over the dough, put a little pepper and grated cheese if you want. Roll this like a jelly roll, put it on a cookie sheet, bake in oven 350 until dough gets a nice brown crust. I’ve cooked so long I don’t know the time.
    Take it out and slice it, we call this HAM ROLL.
    You can slice this thick or thin, I even serve it when I have company and everyone loves it. A baked sandwich.

4. 7

GINNY LEE says

I forgot, we live in Texas now, but when we lived in NJ
    They use to sell the ends of lunch meat. Or we would ask our deli people if they had any ends left. They would sell them to us cheap, because they would have only thrown them out. But, some of the stores even package the ends. When we came to Texas, I would ask for the ends of lunch meat, they looked at me as if I came from another planet. I did get one lady who actually gave me a bunch of ends, because she didn’t know how to charge me for them. But, I had a problem when I went to the check out stand. I think the girl thought I was stealing them, or that the deli lady was pulling off a fast one. She called the manager.
    But, if we start asking our stores to sell these ends instead of throwing them away. They may think twice about it. The more request the more they’ll think.
    Just a thought for those who haven’t been thru times like we are heading for.

5. 8

GINNY LEE says

Forgot to tell you all.

The above recipes and ham roll, are way under
    $20. Depending on how many you are feeding.

6. 9

GINNY LEE says

Sorry everyone for being long winded. I am an older lady, with some thoughts Fairly new to computers and writing on websites.
    One more Idea. Depending on the age of your children and husband, te he. gather them around the table maybe once every couple of weeks, and play it like a game, and have them give you ideas on stretching $20. For how many you have. You may come up with some real surprises, or eat peanut butter and jelly. But, this gets them involve on the meal planning and what it costs. Even let them go to the stores with you, to see the prices.
    Or if you have older children, let them search the websites for the stores near you for good deals.
    This could actually be fun, and lets them become more involved and learn alot of things.
    God Bless, it’s just the two of us retired people.
    But, we have been there and done that, and are still
    doing it. I very seldom pay top dollar. And only look for sales, no matter what our income has been.
    also check out unusual stores, like we have here.
    Sav a Lot, Big Lots, Dollar General, And I think Family Dollar. They all have their own little food sections and
    you get some good buys there.