Frugal Friday frugality Greenville

Greenville Shoppers: The Sav More Scoop

February 15, 2008

000_0002.jpg

For those of you who are in Greenville, the latest word on the sidewalk 🙂 is that Sav Mor will be having their sidewalk sale this weekend, Saturday, February 16, at 9:00 a.m. Since several of you had questions about Sav More on my $20/week grocery budget, I will try to answer those here and fill you in on a few more details.

1. You will want to arrive before 9:00a.m. Once the moderator yells “go,” you don’t really have much of a chance to get in the action unless you’re on the “sidelines” when he makes the announcement.

2. Dress warmly–this takes place outdoors.

3. You will pay for your items in cash. ($6 per box)

4. Boxes must be as level on top as possible (they will let you know if it is not level enough).

5. It is helpful to go along with someone else (one of you can “guard” the boxes/sort through things).

If you fill a box to the top, you will most likely be able to get $100 to $200 worth of products. Keep in mind that many of these items are expired/scratched/dented. (Expiration dates are for the most part simply a protection for producers against consumer lawsuits; however, it is always good to be careful in thinking through whether a particular product would be safe after the expiration date.)

hpim7342.jpg
A sampling of the Sav-Mor savings–all this was $12!
Please feel free to leave any other questions in the comment section, and I will do my best to answer.
Update: My husband went all by his lonesome today…and saw several familiar faces there! 🙂 He got one box for $6, but we unpacked it before we could take a picture. Last time we got over 60 pounds of flour for $6, so I think our pantry is pretty well stocked for now.
Check out Jessica’s Sav More loot here and Julia’s here. I’d love to hear how others did!

You Might Also Like

• Kathryn February 15, 2008 at 1:44 pm

Thank you!! I hope to go tomorrow!

• Jessica February 15, 2008 at 3:28 pm

Thank you for sharing with us about this great deal. My husband, sister, and I are going to give it a try tomorrow.

• Julie February 15, 2008 at 5:24 pm

I gave this a try after I saw it posted on your site. It was really a lot of fun! And yes, you really do need more than one person. I tried this by mself and after lugging 2 boxes of stuff up and down and all around my back was killing me the next day. I’m gonna try to make it and pass along the info to others who have expressed an interest. I also agree that the “sell by” dates on canned goods and pre-packaged goods don’t mean the item is not good. Most canned goods last for months and the expired dates are not that old. We’ve really enjoyed the green beans and corn and pinto beans we picked up last time. Thanks for sharing this information with us.

• Christie February 15, 2008 at 6:27 pm

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! My family lives in SC and they are constantly frustrated by the lack of “markdowns” that they can find in grocery stores!

• Alicia February 16, 2008 at 12:54 pm

I’m so glad that I checked your blog. I didn’t get a chance to call yesterday to find out if there was a sale today. I got wonderful deals last time, even food for our special diet! Thanks so much!

• Jessica February 16, 2008 at 4:55 pm

My husband, sister, and I went to the sale today. It was so much fun. I was really impressed by the amount of organic items that we were able to get. I have picture on my blog of all the items we got, but no pictures of what my sister picked up. She hit the organic jackpot.

Thank you so much for sharing the with everyone. It was wonderful.

• Vickie@PursuingSimplicity February 16, 2008 at 11:27 pm

I would be all over this if they did such a thing in Oklahoma. Not only do we not have great grocers but nothing like this takes place. Wow, it would benefit my family so much! Looking at the pictures and seeing the pictures of Jessica’s loot, we go through 40.00, yes I said 40.00 of protein bars a month between my teenage boys and my husband and I when I can’t find them on sale I have to buy them at Sam’s. Great finds! What a blessing!

• Questions and Answers on the $20 Menu « Mill Musings March 24, 2008 at 5:53 pm

[…] do have the advantage of having the food yard sale, and without I would guess our budget would be at least $10 more per week. The sale that we go to […]

• Christy April 2, 2008 at 8:54 am

Keren,
    I have so enjoyed and been challenged by your blog. I will be visiting family in the Greenville area April 17-22.

Will I be there for this great event?!?

I and my 5 children will be visiting my Mom who lives alone. Needless to say, she doesn’t shop the way I have to. Where else do you recommend getting the most for my buck in your area? Thanks for your help!

• keren April 2, 2008 at 9:09 am

Christy,

There is a sale this weekend, so it’s definitely likely that there will be one April 17-22, since it’s usually every other week.

Bi-Lo doubles manufacturer coupons up to 60 cents, and Sav-Mor (the same place as the food yard sale) usually has some good deals on fresh produce.

I will try to e-mail you soon.

Keren

• Sav-More Fun « Mill Musings April 26, 2008 at 8:50 pm

[…] Posted on April 26, 2008 by Keren By request, here’s a picture of our “food yard sale” savings from this […]

• jennifer April 30, 2008 at 8:02 am

Is there a sale like this in the Charlotte, NC area.

• Eden June 23, 2008 at 4:27 pm

yeah…and is there one in enfield, ct. wow! i am missing out on a lot!

• Keren June 23, 2008 at 10:23 pm

I am fairly sure it’s only in Asheville and Brevard, NC and Greenville, SC. I’d love to know if other places had similar sales, though.

• Patti July 12, 2008 at 2:33 pm

When go by myself I usually get 2 or 3 boxes. It is a great way to save money on groceies. My kids love all the great snacks I get for them.

• Greenville Sale Reminders « Mill Musings September 5, 2008 at 6:18 am

[…] The Sav-Mor Sidewalk Sale is this Saturday at 9 a.m.  Read more about it here. […]

• kenyatta December 29, 2009 at 3:17 pm